Saturday, September 18, 2010

Old Stuff

This is a page from a 6 page comic strip I wrote and drew 15 years ago! I've never done anything with it. I didn't really know what to do with it except give copies out to a few friends. No one (very few) had web access back then.



Recently I found this website Scream - Back from the depths . Scream was a horror comic from the mid 80s that sadly only lasted 15 issues (and maybe 3 specials). A full collection will sell on eBay now for around £250.

The Scream website is a tribute site run by a fan (Scream's #1 fan?) and he produces a Halloween comic using submissions collected via the site. The second issue is out this year, you'll be able to see the comic from 31st October 2010. You can see last year's here Hallowscream 2009

Looking at my story it's quite scarey to realise it's 15 years old and that I've not done much since then, just sketches, post-it note doodles and odd things like pumpkin carving and messing around with photoshop. Hopefully I'm going to start doing more again now. I think I may redraw this strip and do a colour version to see if I can improve it.

I remember at the time showing my story to Ian Hering who ran/created the Cartoon Workshop in Liverpool, I felt wierd showing him as I'd just found out that he had cancer (he sadly did not survive) and my story was about someone trying to cure themselves from a terminal illness. Ian was a great guy always full of enthusiasm and encouragement no matter what level of ability you had and I made some good friends at the cartoon workshop, some of whom I still see today.

1 comment:

Angelus said...

I recall n my first day in class, Ian looking round at us all and saying, 'Each of you individuals here sit in the early hours scribbling away, thinking you're the only ones. look around you, you're a class of only ones.'