Monday, October 3, 2011

Leeds

I did end up going to the Leeds Alternative Comic Fair. I've never been to Leeds city centre in the day before so it was a good excuse to go and have a wander around Leeds.

Leeds was very hot! Not sure what the temperature was but it must have been in the 80's. I wandered around for a bit browsing the shops. I liked the Victorian Shopping Quarter for its architecture, most of the shops are much the same as any other big city though.

The Victorian Quarter
 I'd not been to a smallpress fair before so wasn't sure what to expect. First off it was a lot smaller than I thought it was going to be, for some reason I thought there would be a few more exhibitors. I don't know if some people had decided not to go due to the amazing weather or I'd just gotten a false impression of what the scale was going to be.

I had a brief chat with Andy Waugh and Darryl Cunningham. I'd read 'Psychiatric Tales' by Darryl so I knew who he was. I realised I'd also seen stuff of Andy's in Mustard Magazine but not until afterwards.

There was a communal shelf that I put some of my books on but I didn't sell any. I'm not sure how well the real exhibitors did, I don't think anyone sold shedloads, I don't know what it's usually like?

After browsing everyones wares I wasn't sure what to do with myself really, I had to hang around because of the books Id' left on the communal table but I stared to feel like a bit of a lone nutter so I went for a wander around Leeds city centre before returning and then finally getting the bus back to Liverpool.

Leeds Civic Hall - notice the large golden owl, a sure sign that Leeds is a stronghold of the Illuminati
I think if I went to one of these types of things again I'd like my own table at least then you've got somewhere to sit without feeling like a wierd stalker. It's a shame there doesn't seem to be any kind of smallpress scene in Liverpool, if there is then I don't know about it.

No comments: