Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chris Riddell

The utterly awesome Chris Riddell visited Formby tonight to promote his new book 'Alienography' but also to support a local charity Claire House which is a hospice on the Wirral for children with life threatening or life limiting conditions.

Chris Riddell is an illustrator and writer of children's books and he is also a political cartoonist for The Observer newspaper. His best known books are probably 'The Edge Chronicles' which he created with Paul Stewart.

The signing took place at Formby pool, the local swimming baths. Not a big turn out but it was brilliant to see Chris draw a huge alien which is being raffled for Claire House. He really is an amazing artist, his line work is stunning and the image he produced was straight off the top off his head with no preparation.




After he signed a few books for me I very nervously gave him a copy of my 'Onion Boy' story. He seemed to  like what he saw and even asked me to sign it. This freaked me out quite a bit, so much in fact I could barely write! I don't know why but I always get very nervous meeting artists and writers. I very briefly met Simon Pegg at a book signing last month and wanted to give him a copy of my 'Book of Heads'. I thought he'll like this being into zombies and all that but in the end I totally bottled out. In my head I guess I always think 'They're not gonna like this, it's rubbish, they'll think you're some kind of weirdo.'

Anyway Chris Riddell seemed like a great bloke and was really happy to chat to everyone, I'm looking forward to a new book he's created 'Hairstyles of the Civil War Generals'.

Unfortunately I had to rush away as I was collecting my daughter from after school club, would have loved to stay and watch him chat and draw some more.

Big thanks again to Tony from Pritchards bookshop who organises all these events.

No comments: